10.01.2012

BBQ Vegetarian Chili

So I normally don't post recipes, but today is world vegetarian day!  I've been a vegetarian for 9 years, so I thought I would share one of my favorite recipes today.

I love barbeque.  I know, that's super weird since I don't eat meat, but I love the smokey and tangy flavors of BBQ sauce.  So I make my own recipes!  I started making this about a year ago and it's one of my favorite cold-weather comfort foods.


Ingredients:
2 portabella mushroom caps
1 red pepper
1 cup grape tomatoes
1 white onion
1 jalapeno pepper
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
BBQ sauce (I love Wegman's Memphis style)
Cilantro
Olive Oil

Start by chopping the onion and browning it in a pan with a little olive oil on medium heat for 5 minutes. 


Then chop the portabellas, tomatoes, red pepper and jalapeno.  Add them to the pan, and turn the heat to medium-low.  Keep them on the heat, stirring occasionally for 10 minutes.  Then add the black beans, making sure they're thoroughly rinsed and drained.  Simmer for another 5 minutes.



Then I add the BBQ sauce and chopped cilantro.  I like Wegman's brand BBQ sauce - it even says "vegan" on the bottle :) 



Simmer on low heat for 10 more minutes.  I like to add a little bit of cheddar to the top.  Yum!


No comments:

Post a Comment