That's right, spring has finally arrived in Central NJ, and I have been hard at work trying to bring some life to my formerly dull and uninspired front garden.
Here's what we started out with when we bought the house:
Anyway, it was time for a change. Matt helped me rip out the boxwoods. I then re-edged the bed on the far side of the stairs, and I updated it from a rectangle to a curvy shape. Then I spent 7 hours edging the front strip and digging up the sod between the bed and the front path. That is hard work!
I decided to split the hostas instead of buying new ones. Actually, none of the hostas are in their original locations. You can tell where the original bed was by the line of lillies, but I moved and split all of the hostas, removed the roses (I tried to relocate them, but they died), and added oak leaf hydrangea, silver mound, salvia and dianthus. Oh, and they're all perennials, so I don't have to worry about doing a ton of work every year! I also planted herbs in containers on my front porch. Easy access and they look and smell so pretty!
After 3 weekends of work, I'm so happy with the finished product! Other front yard projects we're planning for this summer include painting the shutters and doing something with the front steps (not sure what yet). Hopefully by fall we'll have more curb appeal!