1.07.2013

Family Room Inspiration

I am so excited for our family room.  Like, really excited.  We have been living in the house for 1.5 years, and during that entire time our family room has been a storage/work room.  If we want to watch TV we have to cram into the office, which has become extra crowded with the addition of the dogs. 

Our goal for the family room is to create a comfortable, relaxing space with plenty of storage.  We will be adding carpet, to make it softer and warmer, and we just placed an order for a new sectional!  We chose the Axis sectional from Crate and Barrel.  It's large enough that everyone (me, Matt and the dogs) can fit comfortably.  Although I'm sure the dogs will still lay on top of us like they do now.

As for the storage part, we decided we're going to add some built ins to the area around the stairs.  My inspiration for this came from Remodelaholic.  I have been drooling over their amazing custom built ins since they posted about them a year ago.  So most of my plans are based off of what they did.  I even bought similar hinges since I loved the look so much! 

Image from: Remodelaholic
Obviously ours aren't going to be as extensive, since we don't have the space, but hopefully they will add a lot of storage to the room.  

The color I chose for the space is Delicate Mist by Behr.  My friend Kaylie from Life on the Treeline offered to come over and help me paint, which was awesome, and we were finished in a few hours (vs. the entire day it would have taken me to do it myself).

Delicate Mist is a very light blue/gray.
I also installed a new light fixture.  I got the Calypso surface mounted fixture from Ikea, and I think the scale goes a lot better with the large room than the previous one. It also holds one more bulb than the previous fixture, so it has a higher light output.

Our to do list is still pretty long, but it's getting done!

No comments:

Post a Comment