8.29.2011

Crayon Art

So I saw this on Pinterest, and it looked like it could be fun.  The basic idea is to glue crayons to a canvas, and then melt them so that they drip.  I chose to do a rainbow pattern, and used hot glue to attach the crayons to the canvas.




Once I had all of the crayons attached to the canvas, I used a hair dryer to melt them.  You can also put them outside in the sun on a hot day, but it's not supposed to get above 80 all week, and I am impatient. 



I started the heating process in the band room, but Matt kicked me out for fear that the wax would get on his equipment and make his gear pretty.  So I moved into the family room, where we don't care about getting anything messy.  Which is good, because now the wall is pretty.  If you try this at home and don't want a crayon splattered wall, make sure you have protection!




Overall, I love how it turned out.  I like the rainbow effect, and the contrast between the color and white.  I also like the texture that was created when the wax dried.  Now I just need to convince Matt to let me hang it somewhere :)

Cost Breakdown:
Canvas (on sale!): $4.50
Crayons (2 boxes): $5.00

Total Cost: $9.50

Not so bad for a cool project that kept me entertained for 45 minutes!

1 comment:

  1. What a fun project! Hang it up in your husband's music room :)

    ReplyDelete