8.28.2011

We Survived Irene!

We are fairly inland, but we still had several hours worth of rain and wind.  The power was out for a couple of hours during the night, but not when we were awake.  We did lose a big branch, but luckily it didn't fall on anything.  Here's a look at our yard as of this morning:




So besides some debris, we fared well.  And since we had electricity all day, we were able to get a lot of things done today.

It occurred to me today that I haven't posted any photos of the guest room since we moved in.  We are currently sleeping in the guest room, because we haven't finished (or started) the master bedroom yet.  Here are some photos of where we are with the guest room:

We used "Minty Fresh" by Valspar in the guest room.

I've had this furniture since I was 2!  I'm thinking of trying to refinish it, because it has some water marks.

No trim or closet doors... story of my life!

Thank gosh for temporary shades.

We obviously still have a lot of work to do here.  Some things to do:
- install closet doors
- install trim
- window treatments
- lamps for the bedside tables
- chair for the desk
- hang painting
- upholster and install headboard

Last weekend, I brought over a painting from my mom's house.  It's a watercolor that my mom bought for me when we redid my room when I was 12. It's bright and colorful, and goes with the bright paint in the guest room.
I love the colors.  I'm not sure if you can tell in the picture, but the painting also has great texture to it.  As you probably can tell from the photo, the painting has kind of fallen in the frame.  Also, the frame itself is painted blue, which matched my room at my mom's house.  For our guest room, we wanted the frame to be more subtle, so the picture can stand out.


I painted the frame, and fixed the picture so it was straight in the frame.  I also cleaned the glass, which probably hadn't been cleaned in 10 years.  Then Matt helped me hang it in the guest room, above the desk. 



I really like how it turned out, and I love it with the green paint.  We really need to start hanging more art, but I have such a hard time making a decision on where to hang it...  Hopefully it will all come together soon!

Aside from hanging the painting, we started some other things.  Matt worked on putting up more trim, and I started some new projects (upholstering the headboard and making crayon art).  I also cleaned and did some laundry.  All in all, it was a really good day, even though we don't have too much to show for it.  We also got stuck in the next town due to flooding, but more on that later.

1 comment:

  1. Mint green guest room!! Love it!

    Like the painting with the white frame. I remember when you bought it.

    Beth

    ReplyDelete