10.24.2011

The Dining Room is Trimmed!

After months of procrastination, we finally finished the trim in our dining room!  I'm really excited with how it looks.  We spent the weekend cutting, nailing, filling holes, caulking and painting, and it was worth it.  Now we can finally clear all of the power tools off the dining room table!

But first, let's look back at what the dining room looked like when we bought the house.

Taken during our final walk-through in March.
It was yellow, the floors were stained dark and there was an ugly outdated window valance.  The first thing we did was rip down the window treatments and take out the trim.  Then I spackled and sanded the walls.
Window and door trim down, walls spackled.
Having the floor refinished made a huge difference in the dining room.
Dining room with refinished floor.
Once the floors were finished we were able to start painting.
Progress of the painted dining room.
And then... we stopped.  Actually, let me rephrase that.  We stopped working on the dining room.  There were many other project that were completed in between painting and the trim going up, but for some reason the dining room never seemed to be a priority.  But with the party we're hosting this weekend, we figured it was finally time to finish it.

Matt and I have a great system worked out for installing trim.  Matt measures and cuts, I paint the cut pieces, Matt puts them on the wall, I fill the nail holes, caulk and touch up the paint.   Here's an example of why caulk is our bff:

Before caulking

After caulking
So here is the final product:




It looks pretty awesome, right?  But wait, there's more!  After taking these photos I realized that the dining room really wouldn't be complete without the curtains, so I convinced Matt to help me hang them.  I need him for these sorts of things because I tend to want things done fast, but Matt takes the time to measure twice and make sure that everything is being done properly.

Measure twice, drill once.
We decided to use the same curtains in the dining room as the living room, since it's an open space and we wanted to keep some uniformity.


 So here it is with the curtains up!  I'm really pleased with how it looks.  Obviously I still need to steam the curtains since they just came out of the packaging, but it shouldn't take too long, and we finally have them up!  I think we might be ready for this party after all :)

No comments:

Post a Comment